Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Applesauce cake

Applesauce Cake
1 C butter
2½ C applesauce
2 C sugar
4 C flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 lb raisins (opt)
1 C chopped nuts (opt)
Cream butter and add sugar. Sift flour, baking soda and spices. Add to butter and sugar mixture, alternately with applesauce. Add raisins and nuts. Spread in a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350ºF for 1 hour or until done. Sprinkle with powder sugar. Serve with applesauce on top.

That is the original recipe but I've made a few changes. I use half the amount of butter and replace the rest with applesauce. I also use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose. My favorite way to serve is warm with warmed applesauce on top and a sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm. I love applesauce cake. I love that you made this recipe healthier; I'll definitely try it that way when I make it.

    ReplyDelete