Thursday, February 11, 2010

Potage Parmentier

3-4 cups (or 1 pound) peeled potatoes, sliced and diced
3 cups (or 1 pound) thinly sliced leeks, including tender greens
2 quarts (8 cups) water
1 Tbsp salt
4 - 6 Tbsp whipping cream (or 2-3 Tbsp. softened butter)
2-3 Tbsp. minced parsley or chives

Simmer vegetables, water, and salt together, partially covered, for 40-50 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
Mash the vegetables together in the soup with a fork, potato masher or similar utensil or with a emulsion blender.
Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Set aside uncovered until just before serving. When you are ready to finish the soup, reheat to a simmer.
Turn off heat and just before serving stir in cream or butter by spoonfuls until you reach your desired consistency.
Pour into soup bowls and sprinkle with herbs.

Makes 6 servings.


NOTE: So I made this soup for the first time yesterday. I like loaded bake potato soup, but never really have loved leeks. But I thought I would try it as it is a very traditional French winter soup. It was very good. I did adjust the recipe slightly. First I added some vegetable stock to the water. I also included black pepper, as I like pepper with my food. Then when it was all done, I added some butter and some cream rather than one or the other. Why not have the best of both world. This recipe was in the local newspaper in the morning and it sounded just so good. It is cold, snowy (a little dusting) and windy here in Lausanne. Soup sounded like a perfect idea for dinner. I hope you enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. It has been pretty snowy here, so this soup sounds like it will really hit the spot. I love that it is creamy without adding too much cream.

    ReplyDelete