Thursday, February 25, 2010

Chicken Stock based soups

So previously I told you how to make homemade chicken stock. You can use it in many other areas and it can go a long, variety of ways. So I am going to provide a few of my family favorite things to make/do with chicken stock. Lots are great for hot winter meals.

Simple yet delicious Spinach Soup

1 can of chicken stock or 2 cups of homemade stock

1 package of frozen spinach

Parmesan cheese

Spices as needed

Place chicken stock in a sauté pan and heat on medium-high heat. Start to boil and add frozen spinach and simmer until spinach absorbs 1/4 of stock. Slowly add Parmesan cheese until you taste enough. Sometimes I had salt, pepper, garlic and other spices. Then serve with garlic bread or any other bread of your choice.

NOTE: My neighbor made this for me over Christmas and I have to say it is one of my favorite cold winter night’s meals. It is also super quick with lots of veggie power- Spinach. I like a lot of Parmesan cheese and prefer real Parmesan, but you could also make it Romano cheese as well. But don't use fresh spinach as it doesn't wilt as well or wilt your spinach in another dish, and then add into stock.

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

Pot of chicken stock

Chicken, previously cooked and diced

Carrots

Celery

Noodles

In one pot cook stock, carrots, celery for about 20 minutes, until veggies are soft. Add chicken for about 5 minutes. Cook noodles in a different pot and add before serving.

NOTE: Simple, healthy yet delicious. I love homemade chicken noodle soup so much more than store bought stuff and it really doesn't take that much time or effort to make. I also love it because with kids, you can use any noodles you want. My Oma use to make this soup and add ABC noodles (you know the really, really, really small alphabet noodles) and ten challenged us to make words out of our spoons. Great learning experience. Sometimes I also add tomatoes into the soup. You really could add any veggies you want to put in the soup, but be careful, as they will soak up the stock. That is also why you don't put uncooked noodles into the stock.

Alternative uses:

Base for any soups, risottos, or sauces for chicken or poultry dishes.

Instead of water in rice, couscous, noodles, or steam vegetables for a new taste

No comments:

Post a Comment