Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Lemon Vinaigrette

½ tsp Dijon mustard

1 garlic clove, minced

1 Tbsp fresh or 1 tsp dried thyme (or your favorite)

salt and pepper to taste

zest and juice of 1 large lemon or lime

¼ C olive oil

In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except olive oil. Mix well to incorporate. Start whisking and slowly add the olive oil. Mix until an emulsion is formed. Serve over fresh greens.

I got this recipe from an Italian class Andrew signed me up for. Ever since then we make this all the time. It is my favorite dressing. I've made it with lemons, limes and oranges and they are all really good. Our favorite way to eat is over romaine lettuce, craisins, candied pecans and feta cheese. The easiest and best way to hold an emulsion is to use a stick blender instead of the whisk. The dressing will hold the emulsion and be good for several weeks.

2 comments:

  1. You made this for me after I had Emily, and it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these kinds of vinaigrettes. It really makes the salad for me. This is a great recipe to have on hand, especially since it works well with lime and orange. Yum.

    ReplyDelete