Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Freezer meal to the rescue

I love making freezer meals. It is a fun way to get together with friends, try new recipes and be prepared for a multiple of reasons. Right now I am grateful for a freezer full of meals because of the new addition to our family. I am just not up to cooking for the family but I know that we have healthy meals that need minimal prep.
Tonight for dinner we had Cheese steaks from my Fix, Freeze, Feast cookbook.

6lbs sirloin tip or any beef suitable for slow cooker
6 tsp beef bouillon
3 C water
3 large onions, cut into strips
3 large green peppers, cut into strips
18 slices deli cheese (cheddar, monterey jack, muenster)
18 steak rolls
3 gallon freezer bags
6 sandwich bags
3 quart freezer bags

1. Rinse and trim beef, cut into 3 equal pieces. Place a piece of beef in each of the quart bags. Add 2 tsp bouillon and 1 cup water to each bag. Seal bags
2. Divide peppers and onions into 3 sandwich bags. Seal
3. Divide cheese into 3 sandwich bags. Seal.
4. Label gallon bag, place one bag of beef, veggies, cheese and 6 rolls into each bag. Freeze.

To Cook:
Thaw bag in fridge.
1.Put beef and broth into a crockpot. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours (or high for 3hours) or until beef is tender and pulls apart easily with a fork. Remove beef from broth and set aside until cooled enough to shred. Reserve broth.



2. Preheat oven to 350.
3. Meanwhile, heat 2 tsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onions and stir-fry until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.

4.Slice open rolls, divide beef and veggie mixture among the rolls. Place cheese slice on each sandwich. Close and wrap in foil. Heat in the oven about 10 minutes. Unwrap carefully and serve with broth for dipping.


These are really yummy, they seem to be more of a glorified french dip sandwich than a cheese steak but either way they are really yummy. I changed the main recipe slightly, I divided the meat into 4 pieces and this will give us 4 sandwiches instead of 6. I also used orange, red and green peppers for color.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome. Thanks Michelle. I cannot believe you did that between having a new one and the other two. I will have to try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering. I'm really going to have to try this one next week.

    ReplyDelete