Friday, April 9, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

I know of two sure-fire ways to get Emily to eat her vegetables. One is to stir vegetable baby food into her pancake batter before cooking it (hey, desperate times). The other is to make this chicken pot pie. When I made it this week, she ate more of it than I did. The sauce came from this recipe at allrecipes.com, but I've tweaked the meats and veggies to fit my family's preferences. I like to make the insides during Emily's nap, and then stick them in the fridge until I'm ready to pour it into the crust and bake it.

Chicken Pot Pie

1 large chicken breast, diced
1 cup sliced carrots
3/4 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts

Preheat oven to 425.
Combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery in a saucepan. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
In a saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
Place the chicken/veggie mixture in the bottom crust. Pour the sauce over the mixture, then cover with top crust. Seal edges, cut away the extra dough, and make slits so the steam can escape.
Bake for roughly 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I love chicken pot pie. Such a yummy meal all in one. Nothing better. It is one of my favorite winter meals.
    In Switzerland I made them and put the individual or two person pans, then froze them. IT is a great freezer meal as well.

    ReplyDelete