Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pumpkin Cheesecake

I'm not a big pumpkin pie fan, so for my first time hosting Thanksgiving, I decided to twist tradition and do a pumpkin cheesecake instead. Um, wow. I'm never going back. My new stepmother-in-law said it was the best dessert she's ever eaten, and my father-in-law told me she woke up talking about it the next morning (score!). As someone who never says no to dessert, I can't claim it is the best dessert I've ever eaten, but it is very tasty, and a great compromise for families with both pumpkin pie lovers and haters. Since I typed it up to send to her, I thought I'd share it here as well. Be sure to bring the cream cheese to room temperature first, as it greatly improves the texture. I also left the butter quantity in the graham cracker crust variable, as I like mine richer than most. This is a slightly modified version of the Lion House Cookbook's recipe.

Pumpkin Cheesecake


1½ cups graham cracker crumbs, rolled fine
3-6 Tbsp butter, melted
3 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
¾ tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cup pumpkin
¾ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp ginger
¼ tsp cloves
½ tsp salt
1 pint sour cream
3 Tbsp sugar
½ tsp vanilla

Mix graham cracker crumbs and butter. Press firmly onto bottom and sides of 10-inch springform pan. Leave in fridge to chill while you do the rest of the prep.

Whip cream cheese in mixer bowl; gradually add sugar, then eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla.

In separate bowl, combine pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and salt. Mix well; add to cream cheese mixture. Pour filling into crust. Bake at 300 degrees for 55 minutes.

Whip sour cream; add sugar and vanilla. Spread on top of cheesecake and return to oven. Bake 10 more minutes. Cool before removing sides from springform pan. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment